Permits & Procedures

Lead time for permits varies from cities within the Greater Birmingham Region. Some areas require only 72-hour notice whereas others may require up to a 30-day notice. A complete list of guidelines and special permits can be obtained through Film Birmingham or directly through local municipal agencies. Special Effects and fire permits must be obtained through the specific city/county fire department.

Requests which involve the alteration or removal of public property, leasing of buildings or parks, stunts, special effects, or moving vehicles on public property require a location agreement. Location agreements must be signed by both a representative of the production company and the respective city/county. These agreements assure the city/county that the production will accept liability for any damages or injuries resulting from the production company’s actions.


Your production is taking place on private property and involves production vehicles and/or crew vehicles parking on the street.

Your production involves the display of firearms, use of gunfire, or involves pyrotechnics.

Your production requires partial or complete right-of-way closures and you must apply for a right-of-way closure permit with the local municipality.

Your production requires metered parking reservations and/or closure.

Your production will take place at a City park, recreation center, or park facility. You must coordinate with the city's Park and Recreation Department


You are only filming B-roll.

You are filming exclusively on private property and will not have production vehicles and/or crew vehicles parked on the street.

Your filming has no impact on pedestrian or vehicular flow.

You are exercising First Amendment rights including the filming of rallies, protests, demonstrations, and news reporting.